African Story ; Patience Nididi



Prologue
2003
Ogbaru

     It took determination for us to crawl out of that hellhole we had lived in, the constant struggle to stay alive, the hopelessness of knowing that there was no food and knowing not when the next meal will come, we weren’t just poor. We were dirt poor. The clothes we wore hung limply from our frames with patches, not just my mother but my brothers had also emaciated, they had stopped going to school since our father died _food was more necessary_ I was always afraid and worried but I had to be strong to take care of Chuwkudi and Kelechi. The few months after Papa’s death they always cried at night in my room. It was only recently before I left home that they had seemed tough. The Anyebu family had little in the way of funds, we had next to nothing. We had lived in the outskirts of the Ogbaru community in Anambra state, my mother tried to sell off the few things we possessed but even as we sold the house it was not enough so I began to look for a husband to save us. I had succeeded. Obinna Ozuzu had  been my husband for 7 years now. despite my mother’s pleas I had been willing to sacrifice my virtue for him than for several men _I knew it wouldn’t be long before I turned to harloting  to provide for her family _after all she was 19 and very young_ he had paid a large dowry, bought a house for my mother and sent my both brothers to boarding school, nothing prepared me for what I experienced
Obinna was cantankerous, the beatings I received were evidence, and each episode was a reminder that my family survived the worse.
22/02/2010
11:20am
Lagos, Nigeria.
 Nnenna nursed the bruise on her left cheek although it was making itself known it was still nothing compared to the scars that marred her back_ the results of the belt Obinna often used on her_ the wounds would swell and ooze puce for some days_ pale was too graceful to describe her face she was just no different from the days she had to scramble for bread. She didn’t believe those days were long gone but whenever she took a beating from her husband she was at least happy that her mother and siblings had enough and she no longer worked in that restaurant. The woman who was her madam had only allowed Nnenna take the remains of the customer’s food home.
    The hum of the car engine signified his return. Obinna's assets were much, she couldn’t even begin to give account. All she knew was that he had an estate here in Lagos, two hotels at the heart of Enugu, and a container business in Aba. He had various workers but he often brought some work home Nnenna dressed hurriedly and went to greet her husband.

The first years of her marriage were nightmares but now the episodes felt all to familiar to be considered strange


A sneak peak of the African story "Patience"- Ndidi visit for free updates anytime and free sketches.
 Drop your comments below thanks.

Comments

  1. Very creative and inspiring. Pls how do I get your weekly updates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! Very detailed and captivating.. Very proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drella I believe in you. Work hard,you'll surely make us proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drella I believe in you. Work hard,you'll surely make us proud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ARISE FASHION WEEK 2018 BY ANDRELLA'S BLOG